Monday, November 20, 2006

You Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum

A wordless book has to be very good to impress me. I was unimpressed with Tuesday, which won a Caldecott, and didn't expect to be wowed by this one when I saw that it was wordless.

Happily, the illustrators are marvelous storytellers. Using multiple frames per page (in different arrangements on each page) they tell a clever and funny story that takes the "reader" all over Manhattan, chasing after a yellow balloon.

Having wonderful artistic detail for adults, it is laid out well enough that Elisabeth can follow the storyline just using the images. My door is opening to the world of wordless books . . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've heard good things about another wordless children's book: The Yellow Umbrella. Heard of it?

Graham said...

No, but thanks for the recommendation! We'll check it out at the library.