Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Snowy Day

I have to admit that I only learned this week that The Snowy Day is a Caldecott Medal book. (We have the board book, and it doesn't have the Caldecott symbol on the cover. I turned it over to read the blurb on the back, and there it said that the book had won a Caldecott.) It prompted me to look more closely at the illustrations, and to realize just how unique and good the book is.

If memory serves me correctly, The Snowy Day was one of the first children's books (or perhaps pictures books?) published in this country that had a black boy as the protagonist. As such, I think it is an important book (not to mention an enjoyable one) because it set a precedent for using literature to put forth positive norms for young black boys.

Having taught in a public school where virtually all of my students were black, I have a special tenderness for black boys - especially the "bad" ones. And so I especially love books that provide good role models - not just for children generally, but for black children. For a black child to read a story about a white protagonist is analogous to a white child reading a book in which the protagonist is a Mongolian child. The protagonist is of a different race and culture. One can admire the other, but can't as readily identify with that person.

Soon I'll post on The Story of Ruby Bridges, which is far and away my favorite non-fiction children's picture book (in which the protagonist is a black girl).

So if you know of excellent children's literature with young black protagonists, please add them to the comments here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could check out the list of Coretta Scott King Book Award recipients, given to African American authors and illustrators. Here's the list of current winners: http://www.ala.org/ala/emiert/corettascottkingbookawards/winnersa/cskawardwinners.htm

And past winners: http://www.ala.org/ala/emiert/corettascottkingbookawards/winnersa/pastwinnersa/cskpastwinners.htm

Also, there's an award for new talent: http://www.ala.org/ala/emiert/corettascottkingbookawards/winnersa/newtalentawarda/newtalentaward.htm

Haley

Graham said...

Thanks, Haley!

I think I'm going to do the same thing as with the Caldecott list: Print it out nad bring it with me to the library!