Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Consistency counts

Last week Elisabeth and I went to an art museum. I was pushing the stroller and allowing her to walk. She saw a bench, got excited, and ran to it to climb and sit. I walked over to her and explained that if she ran again and didn't stop when I spoke to her, that she would have to sit strapped in the stroller. Several times during our museum visit, she again got excited and started to run. As soon as I said her name (and I didn't say it loudly), she stopped dead in her tracks and looked at me. I commended her for listening and stopping, and she continued by walking instead.

It was a great reminder to me that Elisabeth knew that I would follow through on what I had said, and so she was very careful to keep up her end of the deal. If I gave her repeated "warnings" [read: empty threats], she would know that I didn't mean it and would go on with her behavior. Knowing that one infraction would put her in the stroller made her attentive to her behavior, and made my job easy.

No comments: