Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Wretched Stone

Chris Van Allsburg is a brilliant author and illustrator. I pulled this one off the shelf because I knew his name from The Polar Express which won a Caldecott. The illustrations are truly first rate (hence the Caldecott) and his use of allegory is outstanding. The Wretched Stone is a children's book, and it is one that adults can learn much from - much like the Chronicles of Narnia or any other good allegory.

A young child probably won't get the allegory at all, but will love the tale - and older children will love both the story and discovering its meaning. Hats off to Chris Van Allsburg for this one!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading all the book reviews that you post, especially those of the childrens' books. Having grown up in another part of the world, I'm more familiar with British authors. You have opened up a whole new world for me! Guess who's got a lot of childhood reading to catch up on? ;)--Ann

Graham said...

I'm glad that you're enjoying the book reviews. I'm enjoying getting back into great children's literature!

Are there British authors that you would recommend that I otherwise might not discover on this side of the Atlantic?

Anonymous said...

Kari picked this book up from the library the other day and we just read it yesterday.

Our take on the allegory is television vs the finer arts (reading, music, etc.) Is that your take on it?

Graham said...

Yes, I think that is the intended allegory - although I think now there is an extension to computers.