Friday, November 17, 2006

Bag of tricks

I am convinced that engaging children is the best way to prevent problems. Included in this engagement, in my opinion, is "the bag of tricks." I think it is wise for parents, any time they leave home with a child, to bring engaging activities for the child.

Yesterday I was reminded of just how well this works. Elisabeth and I went to the museum for a class, and were sitting waiting for the class to begin. I had brought a couple of books in my bag of tricks, and so pulled one out to read with Elisabeth. When we began reading, there were three other children, also waiting for the class to begin, running in circles and climbing on the benches. Within two or three minutes, all three had crowded around us, and listened intently to the book until the class began(and no longer wreaking havoc in the waiting area). All they needed was to be engaged; it is my contention that this is the parents' privilege and responsibility.

No comments: