Thursday, November 16, 2006

Not lowering the level of language

I think that there is a strong connection between the way parents should speak with their children, and how preachers should communicate with their hearers. I strongly believe that parents should not lower their level of language for their children. Rather, they should use their normal vocabulary and define those words that the child has likely not yet mastered. What I intend is not simply avoiding "baby talk" in which one changes even the pronunciation of words to make them sound like a baby would say them. (Of course I think that is a bad idea.) I mean intentionally maintaining both vocabulary and tone of voice that conveys to the child that she or he is a responsible person. I believe that this kind of language goes a great distance in discipline because parents do not speak to the child in a condescending manner. The child is responsible for his or her actions, and is treated as such.

I think the same is eminently true of preaching. I do not believe that there is value in excluding theological language simply because it is foreign to some. Simply define your terms! Then your hearers acquire the language and understand. You have educated them while teaching them, and they will be the better for it - in hearing you, in hearing others, and in being able to engage in dialogue.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen!

Dad