Wednesday, November 22, 2006

On Evangelism

Recently I heard a sermon on the roadblocks to evangelism, and it struck me that (for me) the greatest roadblocks to sharing the good news are not outside of me, but inside. The two primary ones are:

  1. I don't expect the Holy Spirit to give new life to dead people through my witness. I can say, "I believe," but that "belief" often doesn't translate into trusting the Spirit to work through me. My problem is unbelief.
  2. I care what others think of me more than I love them. I am afraid that I'm going to look foolish.

I needed that reminder from the Holy Spirit that I need to be transformed and renewed in sharing the good news. The crisis of evangelism is not primarily in that others may be indifferent or hostile to the message, but is primarily in my own heart.

No comments: