Thursday, February 08, 2007

Inspired by my subject

When Elisabeth was born, my parents and my in-laws generously contributed to buy us a digital camera. It has proved to be one of the best gifts we have ever received. It is unusual that a day goes by that I don't snap at least one picture.

Recently I was reflecting on my fetish for photography, and stumbled upon a major reason why I enjoy taking pictures: I am inspired by my subject. I take more pictures of Elisabeth than I do anyone or anything else. I love trying to capture her personality, expressions and mood in an image. It is not to say that I don't enjoy taking good pictures of other people, or of scenery; I do. But it is not the same as photographing my daughter.

In addition to capturing Elisabeth, I love sharing pictures of her. It is a joy to be able to share with friends and family through this blog, in online albums, and with physical prints. I feel what C.S. Lewis described in his Reflections on the Psalms (there speaking about the praise of God being quite natural for the one who loves God):

The world rings with praise-lovers praising their mistresses, readers their favorite poet, walkers praising the countryside, players praising their favorite game-praise of weather, wines, dishes, actors, motors, horses, colleges, countries, historical personages, children, flowers, mountains, rare stamps, rare beetles, even sometimes politicians or scholars. . . . [J]ust as men spontaneously praise whatever they value, so they spontaneously urge us to join them in praising it: "Isn't she lovely? Wasn't it glorious? Don't you think that magnificent?" The Psalmists in telling everyone to praise God are doing what all men do when they speak of what they care about. . . . I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation. (C. S. Lewis, Reflections on the Psalms (New York: Harcourt, Brace and World, 1958, pp. 93-95) [emphasis mine]
I think that photography is an extension of my God-given longing to share the joy of parenting with others whom I love. It does not merely express my feeling, but in the sense Lewis infers, completes the enjoyment - and so it is truly my pleasure to share them with you.

No comments: