Thursday, October 05, 2006

Prepare to be inconvenienced

I have found it to be one of the central axioms of parenting that the most essential instruction comes at the most inconvenient times. Therefore, to be a good parent, you must be prepared to be inconvenienced. If you will not accept the inconvenience, you will not be a good parent.

For me the greatest challenges come when addressing Elisabeth's behavior will make us late, and thereby inconvenience others. Stopping to address her patiently makes a world of difference for her, and for our family - and the cost now is well worth it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you're talking about, Graham. Lauren told me something which she learned recently which is also difficult but true: God gives us children whose needs and areas of difficulty correspond with our areas of needed growth. Often the things which Zoe does which annoy me the most are an indication of where I need to grow.

Graham said...

And so the words ring true,

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing" (James 1:2-4)

We (and certainly I) need those kind of trials.