Sunday, October 22, 2006

Family prayer

May the God of steadfastness and encouragement grant us to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together we may, with one voice, glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

We are no longer our own, but Yours. Put us to what You will. Rank us with whom You will. Put us to doing, put us to suffering. Let us be employed for You or laid aside for You. Let us be full, let us be empty. Let us have all things, or let us have nothing. We freely and heartily yield all things to Your pleasure and disposal. Fill us with your Holy Spirit.
We prayed this family prayer often throughout my childhood - such that it is still on my tongue today. Now I am getting a clearer sight of just how much we need to pray with this kind of resignation to whatever God will give us for His glory. If I readily submit to doing or suffering, being employed, or laid aside, being full or empty, rich or poor, then God can sovereignly get glory in me. This is what it means to pray,
Hallowed be Your name,
Your
kingdom come,
Your will be done on earth as in heaven

whatever the cost to me.


No comments: