Monday, October 09, 2006

The Kitchen Chalkboard

This summer we had the privilege of visiting friends and being in their home. Upon entering their kitchen, I saw a simple small chalkboard designed for writing short messages to others in the household. I expected to see a shopping list, or a list of chores, or the like. What I saw was something else entirely: a quote from Martin Luther.

It caused me to pause and reflect on the ways that we encourage one another. I was refreshed by this word, and by the love it demonstrated. The person who read it had been moved by it, and wanted to share it with the whole household; I praise God for that.

That little chalkboard has helped me to reflect on my quotables. They spring from the same desire, to share glorious truth. Thank you, Matthew, for those words from Luther, and for the example of how beholding beauty leads to pointing others to it.

No comments: