Thursday, October 19, 2006

Overcoming Fear

Elisabeth has (at least) two fears: rinsing her hair, and buckling her bicycle helmet on her head.

Both are rather irrational fears. She doesn't mind getting her hair wet, and she is not even bothered sometimes when she gets water in her eyes - either in the pool or in the bath. Yet she hates rinsing her hair. Likewise, she doesn't have a problem with the helmet sitting on top of her head, but when the thought of buckling it comes, she goes into hysterics.

As a father, both of these examples are really helpful to me to see the real challenges of parenting. There are many things in which I can simply insist on something and Elisabeth will submit. Yet in rinsing her hair and putting her helmet on, there is something emotionally that keeps her from it. As a father, I have to pray for her, and creatively help her to overcome those fears.

Any suggestions for helping toddlers overcome paritcular fears?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried role-playing either situation with Penny, or switching roles in a role play so that she gets to be the parent and wash your hair or buckle your helmet?

Haley

Graham said...

That's a great idea, Haley. I haven't tried role playing in the bath. I have had Elisabeth buckle my chinstrap, but that didn't seem to help much.

I'll let you know how E washing my hair goes!