Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Being Christian without being Christian

Over the past several months, I have been thinking entrepreneurially. I have two friends who are in the midst of starting businesses, and I have had a finger in each. With regard to one of those organizations, someone asked me, "Is it going to be a Christian company?" My answer was no and yes. I think for their purposes, the answer would be no. No, it is not going to be an organization that markets to Christians. No, it is not going to employ only Christians. But yes, it is going to reveal what a company looks like when Christ is King over it.

I love to connect it to my friend's dad, who has an agricultural implement company. If someone was to ask, Is it a Christian company? I would answer emphatically, Yes. They don't make implements for Christians only, and they don't emboss crosses or icthuses on the machinery. What they do is to manifest the Kingship of Christ over everything in the way that they conduct themselves - from the way they treat their employees, to the way they handle the environment, to the opportunities that they use and create for verbal proclamation of the good news of Jesus. That is, in my understanding, what it means to be a Christian company.

1 comment:

Lae said...

Hi! Nice blog! Add me to ur links http://2funnypictures.blogspot.com and let me know, i will add u, thanks :)