Saturday, December 02, 2006

Mister Seahorse

I am not an Eric Carle groupie. I think that he is a very good painter, and that some of his books have literary value (which other books lack altogether, in my opinion).

However, I am intrigued by Mister Seahorse scientifically, sociologically and artistically. Through literature and watercolor, Carle surveys a number of aquatic animals in which the father carries or otherwise protects the eggs, rather than the mother.

It intrigues me scientifically, because the obvious norm is that either the mother lays the eggs on a bed, or keeps them contained within her body until they are ready to hatch. I must say that Carle educated me in the course of the book. Yet I am no less drawn in sociologically by what Carle is saying in choosing these underwater fathers as the theme of his book. Clearly his interest extends beyond sea creatures, and understandably my interest is piqued as a full time father.

I wouldn't put this book on my list of great literature, but it certainly is fascinating to a father on many levels.

No comments: