Saturday, December 02, 2006

Be like men who are waiting for their master

There is a phrase that keeps coming off the page at me throughout the Gospels.

"Be like men who are waiting for their master to come home . . ." (Luke 12:36)

This is how we are to live in this age. Jesus spoke it to those who were in His very presence 2000 years ago. How much more do we need to hear these words now, as the ages hasten on! We are to stay dressed for action, and keep our lamps burning (35) in expectation of the return of the great Master. He has given us responsibility, and we must bear it well. The reward for those who obey is unspeakably great:
"Blessed are those servants whose master finds awake when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will dress himself for service and have them recline at table, and he will come and serve them" (37).

I can't get my mind around that - and I love it! The only way that I will live in expectation is if I regard my Master as truly worthy of my obedience in watching and waiting. Yet for those who have true regard for their Master, and believe Him and wait for Him even when His return tarries, He promises staggering reward. O Holy Spirit, let us hear and receive this word, and be continually like men who are waiting for their Master to come home.

No comments: