Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Bag of Tricks

As I mentioned before, I'm convinced that parents are responsible for planning to keep their children engaged. I think that is true at home as well as in public, but here I want to focus on going out in public. What to bring? Here are some of the things that I put in the backpack (although not all of them every time):

  • BrainQuest (every time) [corrected so it does not appear to be a search for Brian]
  • Counting Cards (every time) [brightly colored objects on one side with the number of objects printed on the back . . . good for learning numeration]
  • Books! (every time)
  • Snacks
  • Spanish/English flashcard game
  • Marker book [learn to form letters by tracing]
  • Sketchbook & colored pencils

Most of the things in the bag of tricks involve me in some way. At this stage, that is strategic: I'm actively teaching her. As time goes on, I plan to steadily give her more and more responsibility in her activities.

Yes, this is very urban. I can sit on the bus or subway with Elisabeth and do these things, whereas a parent in a car can't engage a child in the same way. It is one of the perks of city living!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it very amusing that you misspelled BrainQuest. Maybe it's just me!

Graham said...

Having a smart kid doesn't make you smart!