Saturday, December 16, 2006

I want them to be good

I love Elisabeth's simplicity. I love how she sees through the lenses of good and bad. Already her conscience tells her that some things are good, and other things are bad.

When we read her The Big Picture Story Bible, she will observe from the text and illustrations,

"They're being bad. I want them to be good."
I love it! That's the point! We are bad people who need to be made good because we can't do it ourselves. Because of the Fall, we live "in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another" (Titus 3:3). Her simple observations and black and white categories make way for a simple presentation of the gospel: "But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy . . ." (Titus 3:4-5).

I can see so many ways that I need to become more childlike to welcome the Kingdom.

No comments: