Thursday, December 28, 2006

. . . and then I bonked!

Right now Elisabeth and I are staying with Grandma and Pop-pop for a few days. Since Elisabeth is still a very active sleeper, she's sleeping in a pack'n'play at night (as she might roll out of an ordinary bed).

Today, I heard a surprising quiet, and went upstairs to see what Elisabeth was doing. I found her in her pack'n'play reading a book. I asked her how she had gotten in, and she answered:

I lifted up my leg, and then I bonked!
I asked if she knew how to climb out. (I had seen her climb out of the pack'n'play onto an adjacent bed, but never out and onto the floor.) She thought about it for a minute, and apparently figured out that the best way to ensure that her feet would be first to hit the floor was to go feet first.

So she proceeded to go into a handstand, and put both feet up on the rail! She didn't have enough arm strength to throw herself over, so she figured out how to swing a leg over, and get the other one up fast enough that she would land feet down. She proceeded to do it a number of times, in both directions, contenting me that she can do it safely.

No comments: