Monday, June 04, 2007

Talking to children about race

I think a lot about race and culture. I grew up in a dominantly white environment, and went to a dominantly white college. Then I lived in Uganda, where I was a distinct minority. I returned to the States to move to an urban black neighborhood where I lived for five years, for three of which I taught in the local public school. Now I live on a cusp, between a rich white neighborhood and a much less wealthy Hispanic neighborhood (and likely will move back into a predominantly black neighborhood). Race and culture are not things that I think about in the abstract, but part of my daily life.

For that reason, I think much about how to teach our children about race and culture. For most of my answers, I look to a handful of articulate, black Christian men. I highly recommend Thabiti Anyabwile on talking to your children about race and tips for talking about race. He is wise, insightful, and relentless in focusing on the Gospel. I've found Lance Lewis to have some keen insight on issues of race and culture, and I think that Anthony Carter's book On Being Black and Reformed is an outstanding book for an outsider to get a better understanding of race and the Gospel.

If you know of other wise voices for helping kids to understand race through the Gospel, please share!

No comments: