Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Breaking with tradition

Yesterday Elisabeth broke with her tradition of refusing naps. Usually bed is the singular cure for a nap. She'll be tired and say, "I want to rest," or "I want a nap." If she climbs in bed, it is almost a sure thing that she'll be back in 5 minutes, reinvigorated and having forgotten about her sleep needs.

So yesterday I assumed it was more of the same when she said she was feeling tired and wanted to rest on the loft bed. I let her climb up and lie down, assuming that after five minutes of quiet I'd hear her little voice again. Ten minutes passed in silence, and I climbed up to peek: asleep! This is the first time she has ever napped on the loft, and one of the few times that she has self-initiated a nap and gone to sleep without talking [apart from the stroller, which works like sleeping pills].

Perhaps after a year and a half of not napping, we're returning to a napping stage?

No comments: