Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Lex orandi lex credendi

Lex orandi lex credendi. 'The rule of prayer is the rule of faith.'
I think one of the great advantages of an intentionally liturgical church is that in the weekly (and even daily) prayers, the theology expressed is profound and true. I find myself worshiping deeply through the words of the Anglican liturgy because they express and celebrate the glory of the gospel. Better yet, they are doxological. They do not merely say true things about God, but address Him with joy and adoration.

It struck me recently that bedtime prayers are rightly subject to this maxim, lex orandi lex credendi. I am praying with Elisabeth, and I am also teaching. I am teaching her the things that are worthy of bringing to the Father, whilst teaching her how to approach Him. Bedtime prayers are, whether we consider it or not, profound daily instruments of theological and practical instruction. For this reason, I think it is both important and appropriate to praise God with our children for the glimpses we have had of Him in the Scriptures and in experience on that particular day, and to ask Him for the extension of His kingdom in our neighborhood and to the ends of the earth. This, I believe, is one important way that children develop a missional approach to life, to the glory of God.

No comments: