Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A small bedfellow

Last night, because of the heat, we put Elisabeth in her toddler bed (9 inches off the floor) instead of the loft bed where she now regularly sleeps. Elisabeth has grown fond of her loft, and was not excited about sleeping on the little bed again. She threatened,

"If I sleep down here, I'll come into your room in the middle of the night!"
We weren't going to be intimidated by a 3-year-old, and continued the bedtime routine.

True to her word, somewhere between 2 and 3 am, Elisabeth toddled into our room, and climbed into our bed. We have set a precedent that Elisabeth doesn't sleep in our bed (except when she's been very ill once or twice), so we were both rubbing our eyes trying to figure out how to get her peacefully back to her own bed. I mumbled, "Elisabeth I think it's time for you to go to bed." Elisabeth, much more alert than I was, returned,
"I think this is a good place for me."
Thankfully Mommy had her wits more about her than I did, and was able to transfer our small bedfellow back to her own bed so that we could sleep through the rest of the night.

While Elisabeth is of the opinion that our bed is a good place for her, I'm still convinced that I sleep better when she's in her own bed.

No comments: