Friday, May 12, 2006

On Being Black and Reformed


I am captivated by race and culture. Seldom a day goes by that I don't reflect on how race and culture affect society and the church.

Today I noticed it in my own racism. At the playground, when two boys started fighting and their nannies sat obliviously on a distant bench, I noticed my prejudice against black nannies. I realized that because of my experience with particular people, (I lived in a black neighborhood for five years, and taught in a school there for three years) I tend to generalize in ways that are not true, fair or helpful.

I am deeply grateful to have had my racism exposed in an encounter with Anthony Carter. I just finished reading his book On Being Black and Reformed, and highly recommend it. In the first few pages, I was rebuked for my own racism. I had not expected Carter to be so articulate, well-read, clear, orthodox and gracious. Yet now that I have finished, I can say that I have not encountered any writer of any color who tackles the issues of race and theology as well as he does.

For some years, I have been praying for an African-American man to disciple me. (I've even been so bold as to ask for one of the stature of Jonathan Edwards.) Carter has reminded me that I'm not going to find anyone of the stature of Edwards (who Carter thinks is peerless among American theologians), but that there are Christ-enthralled black men who stand in the faith and theology of Edwards, and have a unique, desperately-needed historical awareness that I cannot learn first-hand.

God, send me a mentor like Anthony Carter!

No comments: