Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Thank You, Mr. Falker

When I was growing up, I remember on many occasions my Mom crying as she read aloud to us. I appreciated the stories, but was never as moved by them as she was. Well, I think that Elisabeth is probably going to grow up thinking about her Daddy the way that I thought about my Mom.

Last weekI read her Thank You, Mr. Falker, and for most of the second half of the book had trouble reading because of the tears. It is the brilliantly told true story of the author's own struggle with learning to read. She captures vividly the shame and frustration she experienced, and the glory (I don't think there's a better word for it) of the teacher who patiently, lovingly helped her learn to read.

Thank You, Mr. Falker is a wonderful example of great children's literature, particularly for a child who struggles with learning, and for those who have the privilege of helping children learn.

No comments: