Saturday, March 17, 2007

Hide and Seek

On Wednesday Elisabeth had a playdate with her friend Aidan. They decided that they wanted to play hide and seek. It quickly became apparent that being inconspicuous was not part of their hiding strategy.

The first time they came running back into the room before I had counted to twenty. The second time they hid behind the couch where there were musical toys on the floor, and every time one of them moved, a toy would start singing.

Elisabeth started to catch on that their noise was giving them away, so the third time they hid (behind the couch again), whenever Aidan knocked the toys and made noise, I'd hear her little voice trying to hush him.

On Thursday Elisabeth proposed playing hide and seek again. This time she hid very quietly, but in full view of where I was (but with her back to me). I explained that it made it too easy for me to find her, and that she needed to go somewhere that I couldn't see her. So she went into the bedroom and stood next to the bed with her eyes covered. I explained that even though she couldn't see me, I could still see her. I left the room for her to hide again.

This time, for the first time ever, when I walked into the room I didn't see or hear Elisabeth! She was lying on the floor behind the bed (still with her eyes covered), but she had gotten the concept of being both quiet and out of view!

1 comment:

jon said...

Best. Story. Ever.