Thursday, March 22, 2007

Ten minutes before the end of Mommy's last shift

Today is Rebecca's last shift in the Pediatric ER before two weeks of vacation, a 7am-7pm shift.

Elisabeth has been eagerly anticipating Mommy's homecoming this evening, and we were in the kitchen preparing dinner for her. At 6:50, Elisabeth said, "Daddy, I stuck a pea up my nose!"

Immediately I thought, "Oh no! Ten minutes before the end of her last shift, and I'm going to have to bring Elisabeth in to see her in the Peds ER to have Mommy extract a pea from her sinus!"

Thankfully I could still see the pea up her nose. I told Elisabeth to blow out, and she pushed it down far enough that I was able to get it out - without the help of the world's best pediatrician. I think that it was probably best that way for the nerves of all involved.

And best of all, now Mommy is on vacation!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Graham & Rebecca,
I just had to send a note to wish all 3 of you a wonderful 2 week holiday. I think you are all about the most wonderful family in the world. What an inspiration and role model of Christian love and parenting you are. We are so very thankful that God has blessed Megan and Matt with your friendship and Godly influences. You will never know this side of eternity the kind of impact you have made on their lives and Christian walk.
I love you all and pray that you will have a wonderful time together and a special refreshing from above. We look forward to our next "in-person" visit.
Terry Anderson

Graham said...

Thanks, Terry. We're very much looking forward to the time together - and getting to see Matt & Megan now that they're back!

I pray that we're ever more fruitful, and conscious of the Source, not the fruit.

And we look forward to seeing you next time you're here too!

Anonymous said...

Alright... not being a parent myself, I just gotta' ask: Is this a normal observation, about sticking peas up one's nose? That's just about one of the funniest exclamations I've read in a long time!

Graham said...

I think kids wonder, "Will this fit in my ear? Or in my nose?" In fact, I think a lot of kids need a trip to the Emergency Room to cure them of their curiosity. I hope Elisabeth's little scare was enough to save her the trip and teach her the lesson.