Monday, March 26, 2007

He who hates reproof is stupid

When I was a public school teacher, I used this verse in my class as an axiom (without telling them that it came from the Bible):

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge
but he who hates reproof is stupid (Proverbs 12:1)
The kids loved that I used the word "stupid" in class (since I tried to maintain appropriate decorum in the classroom). The starkness of the statement made clear exactly what I wanted them to understand: not to heed my correction or admonition put them squarely in the category of "stupid."

As a father, I deeply want Elisabeth to love discipline. Obviously, the point is not that she enjoy the experience, for "all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant" (Heb 12:11), but that she embraces it because it leads to wisdom and holiness. To that end, I want to "do" discipline in a way that cultivates a love of wisdom and holiness and I want to receive discipline in a way that models what I desire for her.

The writer to the Hebrews makes this connection between love and discipline:
"My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
nor be weary when reproved by him.
For the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and chastises every son whom he receives." (Hebrews 12:5-6)
Our relationship with our Father - which must include discipline, reproof and chastisement if we are true children - ought to teach us how to receive reproof, and how to exercise discipline. Our Father "disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness" (Hebrews 12:10). Elisabeth needs to see that when I am reproved, that I receive it readily and humbly because it is for my good, that I may share in God's holiness. She also needs to see that when I discipline her, it is from love, is for her good, and directs her to wisdom and holiness by teaching her to trust and obey Christ. My discipline aims at saving her from being, or becoming, "stupid."

No comments: