Tuesday, January 09, 2007

ZPD

One of the most important theories I studied in graduate school was Lev Vygotsky's theory of the zone of proximal development, which he defined as

the distance between the actual developmental level as determined by independent problem solving and the level of potential development as determined through problem solving under adult guidance, or in collaboration with more capable peers (wiki)

What intrigues me are these two implications:

  1. We learn by attempting things that are beyond our current abilities.
  2. Almost my definition, we must attempt this learning with others, because it is beyond our current independent abiliities.

Thus it is essential to be constantly doing things with Elisabeth that she couldn't do alone, so that in short order she will be able to master them independently. It is my responsibility to be constantly looking forward beyond what Elisabeth has mastered to what she will attempt next.

2 comments:

S. Davis said...

I studied ZPD quite a bit in my education classes. I agree entirely with the concept, however I struggle daily as a teacher to make sure each of my 20+ students are working in their specific ZPD. As a tutor or parent it definitely makes sense, but as a classroom teacher I need to keep the ZPD as an ideal, realizing I won't ever find it for each student on the same day. This is one of the many compromises I find myself making each day between the ideal of educational theory and the real-world classroom environment.

Graham said...

You're right. It is an ideal. I think where it comes to play in the classroom is in the shared learning experience. Since the thesis of the ZPD is that people can do things when supported by others that they can't yet do alone, I think one of the helpful lessons for classrooms is to use heterogeneous grouping for tasks and activities so that students learn from each other - and that, too, is hard to do.