Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Kingdom Economy

Recently, I have been impressed by the Holy Spirit with:

  1. The nature of God's economy
    I am utterly astounded that Jesus says of the widow who put in two copper coins, "Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on" (Mark 12:43-44). In His economy, the measure of the gift is faith, not quantity. In putting in all she had, she not only was contributing far more as a proportion of her possessions, but was also casting herself on God to provide. I feel like that is a word that I really need to hear, because I so often think that we need big givers; yet Jesus points me the other direction.

  2. The importance of testimony
    When I look back on my walk with God, the things that God has most used to thrust me forward into trust and obedience have very often been testimonies, of two sorts. One kind has been personal testimonies. A person will tell me how God has sustained them, answered their prayer or used them, and I am reminded: God is worthy to be trusted, and I am emboldened to trust Him more. The other kind is historical testimony, like that of George Muller, who wrote to China Inland Missionaries with these words:
On Him then reckon, to Him look, and on Him depend: and be assured that if you walk with Him, look to Him and expect help from Him, He will never fail you. An older brother, who has known the Lord for forty-four years, who writes this, says for your encouragement that He has never failed him. In the greatest difficulties, in the heaviest trials, in the deepest poverty and necessities, He has never failed me; and because I was enabled by His grace to trust in Him, He has always appeared for my help. I delight in speaking well of His Name. (Taylor, Dr. & Mrs. Howard. Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret. China Inland Mission: Philadelphia, PA. 1935. p107)
Testimony pushes me to spiritual maturity because it presses me to trust Christ more in everything - and so as I do, I find Him faithful, and then have the privilege of encouraging others through testimony.

No comments: