Monday, January 08, 2007

My little scientist

I remember well in an graduate level education class that an instructor made this observation: Many of your 'bad kids' are little scientists. They are experimenting to see what happens, physically, socially and otherwise. Take for example the little boy who overflows the sink at the back of the classroom. It is easy for the teacher (or parent) to reprimand sharply, because it is a thing at at his age he should know not to do that. But if the teacher or parent can pause for a moment to ask, "What was he trying to do?" the answers may be surprising.

Often, the child is wondering, "What will happen if I . . .?" Sometimes the action is something that is directly forbidden, like sticking objects into an electrical outlet. The child knows not to do it, but has never seen why not to do it. So the question is both scientific (What will happen to the object I stick in the outlet?) and sociological (What will Mom and Dad do to me if I disobey?).

Sometimes the action is not forbidden, but is clearly outside the norm. This is where Elisabeth has been experimenting recently. Today it she spread apple sauce on lime tortilla chips. Yesterday she was dipping craisins in apple cider. Every day it is something new. What fascinates me is how inquisitive it is. (I would never think to dunk my sandwich in orange juice, and then continue to do the same with every last bite!)

So, Lord-willing, she will learn that I want her to cultivate the inquisitive, scientific spirit - and that breaking rules (like sticking things in outlets) have clear, firm, and consistent consequences.

No comments: