Monday, January 01, 2007

Clipmarks

I recently discovered an add-on for Firefox that I had long wished for (and don't have the technical competence to create): An efficient way to tag a small section of text on a webpage for future reference. I used to bookmark the page on which a particular sentence or paragraph was found, but didn't have a good way of referencing it later when I wanted to find it.

Then I found Clipmarks. It is kind of thing that I would have expected Google labs to come up with. Clipmarks is the researcher's tool, because you can clip small sections of text on any webpage, title it, tag it, and later find it easily.

Why note it on this blog? First, it is a great way for parents to keep track of valuable resources on parenting that they want to be able to find quickly. Second, there is a social dimension (although I think the service is presently quite small). Users have the ability to make their content private or public. If made public, it enables parents to "pop" resources that other parents have "clipped."

No comments: