Thursday, January 04, 2007

McCheyne's Reading Plan

I know many people start new Bible reading plans at this time of year. I have used Robert Murray McCheyne's for several years now. I tried the Discipleship Journal plan last year, and switched back to McCheyne midyear. I highly recommend it.

Here are some of the advantages of the plan, and how it is designed to be used for both private and family readings. Here is a little more background on McCheyne, as well as my review of Awakening, a biography of McCheyne by the current pastor of St. Peter's, Dundee.

Here are some internet ways to access McCheyne's calendar:

  • Edginet -set for your own timezone, version of the Bible, with custom rss
  • ESV - all on one page
  • pdf - In addition to the calendar, McCheyne outlines not only the advantages but the dangers of his plan

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

For those interested but feel the pace may be too much or desire a higher percentage of NT, consider a modified McCheyne's bible reading plan that spreads the OT portion out over two years.

Graham said...

Do you know where to find such plans on the net?

Anonymous said...

I thought I had included a link. My apologies.

http://www.rcfonline.org/resources/twoyear/index.html

Graham said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Anytime, Graham.

I noticed your reference to McCheyne's cautions (with which I obviously identify) as well as the strengths. A majority of the listed strengths of the plan involved corporate use of the plan. Do you have others in your life also reading McCheyne's with whom you will be conferring?

Graham said...

Rebecca and I are reading the family readings together at night, which I'm really enjoying. I think that there are a lot of benefits to reading together.

I hope before too long to start using part of one of the family readings with Elisabeth at dinner as well.