Sunday, September 24, 2006

On engaging in dialogue

Dear anonymous,

I understand from your repeated comment on 14 of my posts,

"Your a fag. Jesus is fake. Get a life thats not based on pure faith because you are wasting your human intelligence. "
that you disagree with me. (I, for my part, would quite heartily agree with you that if Jesus is a fake, then I am most certainly wasting my intelligence, not to mention my life.) In the future, I ask the following:
  1. That you refrain from name-calling
  2. That you engage in meaningful dialogue by posting your comment once rather than spamming the comments.
  3. That you use your name, rather than using anonymity as a shield.

If you care to engage in dialogue, you are welcome to comment, provided you abide by my three requests. If you care not for dialogue, then I ask that you refrain from commenting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Graham:

Thanks for posting such a coherent and grace-filled reply; it's a great example of not engaging on an emotional level. I appreciate that you put yourself on the front line, living such a great example of your faith "out loud" on the internet and exposed to criticism. I, too, wish people would come out from that "shield of anonymity" if they wish to criticize or engage in a meaningful dialog. Otherwise, it appears they are simply trying to throw rocks at a house and run away.

Graham said...

Thanks, Jennifer. I hope that anonymous takes me up on the offer and participates in real conversation.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a good way to handle a difficult commentator! Calling it out graciously and thoughtfully is commendable...

Kristin

Unknown said...

yes, and you even managed to refrain from exploiting such creative spelling. You are more gracious than I! :)