Saturday, September 23, 2006

Courage to proclaim

What I am pleading for is the courage to hold and proclaim a belief that cannot be proved to be true in terms of the accepted axioms of our society, that can be doubted by rational minds, but that we nevertheless hold as truth. (Weston, Paul. "Lesslie
Newbigin: Missionary Theologian
." Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans. 2006 p216)
I get really excited when I read Newbigin, because he doesn't bow to the god of modern scientific knowledge. He confesses truth just as ardently as the most avowed modernist, but does so without the intellectual baggage of the modernist. As a result he contends that conversion really is a miraculous, Spirit-wrought action, in which we receive new life, and the ability to hold as truth that which cannot be proved in terms of the accepted axioms of our society, and which can be doubted by rational minds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful God's gift of faith isn't dependent on strength of mind!

Graham said...

So am I! Although I often need to be reminded.