Friday, September 15, 2006

I don't want you to teach me

After a weekend with her grandparents, Elisabeth's Grandma commented on Elisabeth's throwing arm, "She throws like a girl." (It was not intended as flattery.) So I figured it was my fatherly responsibility to make sure that our little girl be recognized for her feminity in areas other than her throwing arm.

Our bowling alley apartment configuration works well for teaching a child to throw, so we took full advantage for throwing lessons. After working on the arm motion and stepping forward with the foot opposite her throwing arm (in both of which she showed significant progress), Elisabeth said to me,

"I don't want you to teach me; I just want to do it."

How many times in the history of the world has that sentiment been expressed?

No comments: