Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Don't raise your voice?

I have learned not to yell . . . the hard way. As a teacher in the public schools, I found that on occasion I needed to raise my voice (or so I thought). The effect was that I did need to raise my voice, because my students learned that the ordinary speaking voice didn't mean business like the louder, tense voice. In effect I conditioned myself to yell, and conditioned my students to take less seriously my voice when it was not raised.

That experience has impressed on me the importance of not raising my voice with Elisabeth, lest I teach her that my speaking voice doesn't mean business.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great in theory, but it feels almost impossible in practice.

Graham said...

To quote a great North Dakotan, "Walk softly and carry a big stick." (Of course I don't mean a physical stick . . . I mean real, and consistent consequences, applied quickly for disobedience.)

I found it truly impossible to speak softly in the classroom. But now having that experience of failure, I have actually found it possible, through consistent consequences to let my word stick. (And I know that the best teachers are able to do it even in the hardest of classrooms.)

So be encouraged! Even though it feels impossible, it is not!

Anonymous said...

graham, i totally agree with you. when i began teaching teenagers, i used to raise my voice and would feel my head throbbing. so i decided not to yell and still let them know that i mean business...with a meaningful look...or subtle hints. soon they began to get the message. and i didn't feel quite as drained by the end of the day.