Thursday, May 10, 2007

Missionary Parenting

Many of my heroes are, or were, missionaries. I admire them for a host of reasons, not least of which that they have endured tremendous trials to bring the good news to others.

As a parent, I am well aware of the tension of living the Gospel, and the fear of putting our children in harm's way. I have talked with many a parent who would not consider living in certain places (even in this country) because of the challenges and disadvantages for their children. As we are now exploring educational options for Elisabeth (and since we have several friends with children who live in hostile places), I am thinking again much about missionary life.

Graciously, the Spirit reminded me that in the incarnation, the Father sent His beloved Son to be born in a barn under an infanticidal tyrant. The Father was not negligent, or unkind; yet in love sent His Son to be born away from comfort, soon to be a refugee.

If our loving Father was willing to put our Savior in this place for our good, can we not trust Him to take care of our children in the places to which He calls us? Is it possible that love for our children does not require us to shelter them from all harm, but to trust the Father to protect them regardless of how safe or unsafe a place appears to be? I am increasingly convinced that it is my unwillingness to trust the Father that keeps me from obedience. It is easy to say that I trust Him, while doing my best to control the environments in which I place my daughter. But have I truly trusted Him, or merely offered Him lip service, while trusting my own ability to protect my child?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A friend of mine (who is not a follower of Christ) recently asked me my thoughts on raising Zoe in East Harlem. Putting myself in such a neighborhood is one thing, but why would I put her there? It was one of the first times I was faced with the question so personally.

Our decisions make such a visible difference in who our children will grow up to be.

I have no earthly idea why we would not live in safer, more opportune places; except to state the already stated: God has placed missionaries in these places. Much of the sense of safety given in these 'safe' communities is a false sense of security (ie- Blacksburg and Columbine).

Also, depending on what we value, the hard places may be better places to live in. If Christ is our treasure, better to follow him into the ghetto or Sudan than flee from him to a 'safer' home.

Graham said...

Mike, Zoe is going to grow up seeing that God is your portion, and that here you have no lasting city, but are seeking the City that is to come. That is what the Spirit will use to awaken her, and others, to the glory of Christ, and the supremacy of His kingdom. You will be to her, and to others, the hermeneutic of the gospel as you believe it and live by it. Press on, friend!