Thursday, August 24, 2006

On being slow to anger

Whoever is slow to anger is better than the mighty,
and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city. (Proverbs 16:32)
On Monday I learned the truth of this proverb. After a fun morning outing, we came home for Elisabeth's nap (for which I thought she would be exhausted), but she wasn't about to sleep, and she, because she was tired, had difficulty obeying the instruction to stay in bed. That tends to shorten my nerves, and my typical approach is to put her in the running stroller and go for a run, which usually puts her to sleep in just a few minutes - and I get some exercise.

Yesterday, for the first five miles, Elisabeth didn't sleep and wouldn't even put her head down to rest, despite numerous admonitions, and my temper got even shorter. I noticed myself getting more and more curt with her, because my anger was flaring. Ultimately, the problem was not that she wouldn't nap, but that I was quick to anger - and that this dishonors the Father and is harmful to Elisabeth.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I say amen to that verse, and to the need and difficulty of disciplining without responding in anger.

One thing I wonder is, and I have thought the same while reading 'Shepherding a Child's Heart,' is there a place for anger as a parent.

Our sin angers God. God is slow to anger, but does, at times, respond to sin with angry wrath. As representatives of God to our children, as a picture of our relationship to God, does anger have a place in parenting?

Sinful anger should obviously be quenched, but sometimes our children's sin angers us. Is there any place for it?

It's just something I'm trying to work out while Zoe's still small and very seldomly kindles anger in me. :)

Graham said...

Yes, I think that there is a place for anger. Hence the admonition in Ephesians 4:26, "Be angry and do not sin . . ."

I think there is even place for anger at our children's sin. However, I have found in my own experience that any righteous anger I have is often tainted, if not completely overshadowed, by sinful anger. I have found the best way to obey the command, "Be angry and do not sin" is not to discipline while I'm angry. Then I can prayerfully examine my heart and act rightly.

For example, with Elisabeth not falling asleep, most of my anger was at being inconvenienced, not that she was being disobedient. Though she was disobedient, the bigger problem was with my heart. I would have done better to stop and pray before speaking.