Friday, August 25, 2006

"Brain" failure

I'm at a bit of a loss (and looking for input from my computer savvy friends). I use my Palm for everything - to such an extent that my friends and family make fun of me for it. I love being able to carry everything in my pocket. The problem is that my "brain" is now failing.

Just today I realized that when I have been creating new Memos in Palm Desktop, they disappear when I sync - both from the Desktop, and on my Palm. So I checked out the record limit (I'm not anywhere near the 32,767 record limit), as well as the memory on my Palm to see if I had reached capacity and for that reason it was deleting them. (My Palm wasn't quite full, but I moved over most of the applications to my expansion card so that there is abundant memory left on the Palm - and the problem persists.)

Any help? I feel handicapped not being able to reliably store information!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Troubleshoot:

Do old notes survive syncing without incident?

Can you edit existing notes and sync and have the changes stay?

Have you tried using the reset feature on the palm device for a fresh, clear beginning? (http://promosearch.palmone.com/search/promosearch?sp-q=reset&sp-t=cat_search&sp-a=sp10032ba7&sp-p=all&catsearch=1&sp-x-1=country&sp-q-1=us&sp-q-required-1=1&sp-p-2=all&sp-x-2=Model&x=0&y=0&sp-q-2=Palm+m505)

Graham said...

Unfortunately, I had a hard reset accidentally earlier this week. My battery lost its charge completely, and I lost all the information on the palm. I did a restore sync, and restored the data.

After that time, I had not been able to sync while the Palm Desktop was open. I kept getting a dialogue that said, "Cannot sync while editing data. Please close dialogue" even when I wasn't editing data.

I discovered the "Save all" function on the Desktop, and since using it I haven't lost any data. However, I can't sync while the program is open. I get that same "cannot sync . . ." message, but if I sync when the application is not open, all of the new records are synchronized to the Palm. Strange!

Karina Glaser said...

Dan suggests that some other possibilities would be to check the sync settings to make sure that the desktop is not over writing the Palm. His second bet is to check out the trouble shooting on the Palm website - he's found that those are very helpful.

Graham said...

I've followed both Dylan and Karina's (i.e. Dan's) advice. I checked out the sync settings - and although all of the features say synchronize, on the System setting, it said Handheld overwrites Desktop, so I reversed it - and I wiped my Palm clean with a hard reset too. So far no problems, and no loss of data . . . I'll let you know if it continues. Thanks for the help!