Monday, June 12, 2006

Talking to Yourself

'In his excellent book Spiritual Depression, Martyn Lloyd-Jones asked, "Have you realized that most of your unhappiness in life is due to the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself?" That's profound, and it's true.' (Mahaney, C.J. "Humility: True Greatness." Sisters, Oregon: Multnomah. 2005. p69)
What Lloyd-Jones is talking about is preaching to ourselves, in the sense of telling ourselves the truth as God has revealed it when we don't feel it and are tempted not to believe it. I find constantly, especially through the Psalms, that I need the Holy Spirit to speak truth to my heart. As I meditate on the Scriptures (talking to myself, preaching to myself, reminding myself of true, yet invisible, reality) the Holy Spirit can break through my darkness with glorious light.

No comments: