Friday, June 23, 2006

Music and Memory

Recently I have been working to re-memorize a long passage that I memorized two years ago. In the process I have been reminded of the mental work required to memorize, and that the more you do, the easier it gets. I've also been amazed at how putting something to music makes memory so much easier.

In that realm, we have come across a fantastic resource for children: Hide 'Em in Your Heart Songs, recorded by Steve Green. Not only do the tunes help kids (and parents) to memorize, but the selections of Scripture are very well-chosen and appropriate. If anyone has suggestions of Scripture set to music for kids, I'm all ears!

(For grown ups, Michael Card does a fantastic job of retelling entire books of Scripture in his songs. One of my favorite albums is Unveiled Hope, a summary of Revelation.)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love the CD you mentioned - in fact, I think you recommended it to us! The other kids' artist that is great with scripture memorization is Colin Buchanan - https://secure.colinbuchanan.com.au/shop/shop26.html
We've got three of his kids' praise cds that have scripture songs interspersed on them, but he has one CD - "Baa Baa Doo Baa Baa " - that combines all his scripture songs in one place. I highly recommend him; I've memorized several myself since we've been listening!
Jennifer

Graham said...

Thanks, Jennifer. That's exactly what I was looking for.