Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Nature of Blogging

At Mike's prompting, I read Tim Challies' post on The Nature of Blogging, which is a helpful pondering on this unique mode of communication. He suggests that blogging is a middle ground between a book, which carries a certain weight of having been carefully considered and edited, and a personal conversation, in which there is an active relationship. I think he has modeled well speaking only what is helpful for building others up.

In addition to what was mentioned there, I think blogging offers some other unique opportunities:

  • to pursue a thread or line of serious thought with others, not bound by a particular time or place.
  • to be critiqued and held accountable for something not just said, but written.
  • to learn from a diverse group of people in conversation.
  • to gain wisdom in community, as we venture statements, listen to one another, and refine our understandings in order to act.
  • to share joys with others in a way that is not confined to the two persons being present at the same time.
I consider all of these rich privileges, and relish the opportunity to express, to listen, and to learn. (So feel free to comment!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Graham:

I agree wholeheartedly - the ability to have an ongoing conversation outside of time constraints is one of the main reasons I began blogging myself. Your posts give me much to think about, and I often walk away having learned something wholly unexpected. So know that your words are not going out into a void!

Jen

Graham said...

Thanks, Jennifer. I'm glad to know that the words are not just floating in cyberspace. And I welcome your input on how to engage discussion better, so that others feel welcome to comment . . . or dissent.