Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Overwhelmed

I have been asked to preach in August, and, in order to begin preparing, I just looked at the readings for that Sunday. When I did, I was overwhelmed with awe of God. The texts are:

Deuteronomy 8:1-10
Ephesians 4:25-5:2
John 6:37-51
Psalm 34
John 6:37-40 is, to me, the most precious passage in all of Scripture.
"Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and anyone who comes to me I will never drive away; for I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. This is indeed the will of my Father, that all who see the Son and believe in him may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day."

If I had been asked to choose my own text, this is the one that I would have chosen. And the others are no less weighty. Pslam 34 is one of the most evangelistic, worshipful psalms in the psalter.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the LORD;
let us exalt his Name together.
Paul's words to the Ephesians call us to that same God-entranced life:
"Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God" but "be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love . . ."
From the mouth of Moses:
"The LORD your God has led you these forty years in the wilderness, in order to humble you . . . in order to make you understand that one does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD. . . . Know then in your heart that as a parent disciplines a child so the LORD your God disciplines you."
Father, I am again astounded at Your sovereignty and mercy in allowing me to bring Your gracious words to Your people. Fill me with Your Spirit and power to walk in that Way that I will proclaim.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great opportunity! Will this be your first time preaching at your church? You certainly have some wonderful texts to work with - we'd love to hear more thoughts about them as you prepare.

Haley

Graham said...

It will be my first time preaching at our church. And you probably will hear more as I prepare. :)

Anonymous said...

Psalm 34 was my mother's favorite.

"I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth."

"The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit."

Graham said...

I can see why. It is so rich.