Friday, May 19, 2006

Love your enemies


This afternoon I descended the stairs from our apartment to street level. When I reached the security door at the bottom, I saw a very large woman sitting on the step between me and the sidewalk. I opened the door (which opens inward) and said, "Excuse me," to let the woman know that I wanted to pass. I had Elisabeth in the Wanderer (at right) on my back and couldn't get past what I took to be a 300 plus pound woman without bumping into her.

Silence. I tried again: "Excuse me."

Still nothing. I spoke a little louder, thinking she might be partially deaf, or listening to headphones, or not hearing me because of the street noise.

After six or seven attempts at excusing myself, the woman turned her head and said, "Go, a**hole!"

"There isn't space," I replied.

"Go, a**hole!" she demanded.

I didn't try to explain again, as she clearly didn't want to hear it. But I was still inside, with an angry 300 pound woman between me and the sidewalk. I paused and prayed silently for her, and for wisdom. That only made her more agitated, and elicited more a**hole comments.

Realizing that patience and courtesy would inflame the situation rather than resolving it, I did my best to step over/around her without banging her with my legs or the Wanderer. When I stepped onto the sidewalk, her first words were, "See, a**hole?" I held my tongue and walked silently away.

As I walked away, I meditated on Jesus' words, "Bless those who curse you" and "Love your enemies." I need to learn from Him in the peaceful times, so that when hostile situations suddenly present themselves, I am at rest in Him, and His love for the unkind can flow through me - so that He gets the glory.

No comments: