Thursday, May 04, 2006

A faint voice

Yesterday I put Elisabeth down for a nap and closed the door to her bedroom. (Our apartment is a railroad, which means that it is one long, narrow string of rooms without hallways. You simply walk through one room to the next.) So I was on the living room/bathroom/kitchen side of the apartment, and Elisabeth was in her room, which adjoins to a small office next to our bedroom.

Elisabeth had been sleeping nicely for about two hours when I needed to make a phone call. In order not to wake her up, I went into the kitchen (the most distant point from her bedroom in our long string of rooms). As I was dialing, I heard a faint child's voice, and assumed that it was our three-year-old neighbor downstairs, who can often be heard through the floor. I then realized that the voice was coming over the baby monitor in the kitchen, but was remarkably faint to be coming from Elisabeth's room (where the transmitter is).

So I ran quickly to her room and opened the door, only to find her bed empty. I looked down through the office and into our bedroom, where I saw Elisabeth curled up on our bed!
I asked her how she got there. Apparently, when I closed the door to her bedroom, she quietly got out of her bed, went down to our bedroom and snuggled up with the other monitor receiver (in her hand in the picture) on our bed, where she slept peacefully for over two hours!

No comments: