Friday, October 26, 2007

She's not my friend

Yesterday Elisabeth announced that one of her classmates was not her friend. She explained,

"She doesn't listen to the teacher!"
It made me think of King David's words:
I hate the work of those who fall away;
it shall not cling to me.
A perverse heart shall be far from me;
I will know nothing of evil. (Psalm 101:3-4)
I could understand why Elisabeth was saying that she didn't want to be this girl's friend: she's a brat. And so in a certain sense, I don't at all want her to be this girl's friend. Yet in another sense, I do. The same King David said:
Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me. . .
Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will return to you. (Psalm 51:11, 13)
David had just confessed his own grievous sin, and pleaded for mercy - and therefore was jealous to turn other sinners to the Redeemer.

I don't want Elisabeth merely to avoid this girl because she's disobedient. I want her to learn to be a friend in a way that doesn't condone her rebellion, but invites her to receive mercy. If she can learn this lesson well early, it will serve her (and her friends) well for the rest of her life.

No comments: