Monday, October 01, 2007

Questions

I'm convinced that the best conversationalists ask great questions. Justin Taylor just spotlighted some great questions for fathers to ask their children. While they're geared to older children, I think they're a good starting point for asking young children good questions.

Today I asked Elisabeth a question that is accessible for her age: "Why does Jesus love us?"

She answered, "Because we love Him and do what He commands."

It was a great reminder to me of how daily I need to be speaking and embodying the good news the when we were enemies, rebels and disobedient, God reconciled us to Himself through His Son. I want Elisabeth (and any other children God gives us) to clearly understand that we are commanded to love and obey Jesus, but that His love for us precedes our love and obedience, and is not conditioned on it.

That is good news!

No comments: