Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Life of David Brainerd

Although I don't read much anymore (although I wish I did), being a full-time parent has afforded lots of time for listening. One of the best books I have listened to (repeatedly) is The Life of David Brainerd by Jonathan Edwards. It is Edwards' compilation of Brainerd's diary, which is a brutally honest testimony of his own spiritual life, and his mission to the native Americans. John Piper has a great catalog of Christians who have treasured this book and explains why:
Why has this life had such an impact? . . . .

The answer for me is that Brainerd's life is a vivid, powerful testimony to the truth that God can and does use weak, sick, discouraged, beat-down, lonely, struggling saints, who cry to him day and night, to accomplish amazing things for his glory. (source)

Why mention it here? This month it is available for free! So if you like to listen to books, this is one not to miss.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks pretty interesting. I've downloaded the 9 files. Thanks for the link.htt

Graham said...

I think you'll enjoy it.

And thanks for the help moving!

Anonymous said...

No problem at all (with helping on the move). Diane and I are still laughing at all the new muscles we've discovered. It's a good thing that we actually used them for once.

My parents were visiting us recently and papa walked off with my iPod transfer cord. So I won't actually listen to the files until he gets back home and mails me the cord. Still, I am looking forward to hearing these.

I'm imagining I'll get something out of this listening like I did from reading Dietrich Bonhoffer's "The Cost of Discipleship" or from reading C.S. Lewis's works. I enjoy these writers/thinkers and am hoping listening to these files will be a similar kind of learning experience.

Graham said...

Since The Life is taken from Brainerd's Journal, which was not written to be published, it is far more personal and transparent than what I've read of Bonhoeffer or Lewis - but Brainerd hopes in the same God!