Friday, November 02, 2007

Where to buy your books

Does it matter where you buy books? Is book buying an action without social consequences?

Last week I ordered two books from Monergism and was reminded why I purchase from them. There are many titles that I could get less expensively from ChristianBook.com, but there is a dramatic difference between the way these two companies operate. Monergism is discerning in the titles it sells, because they realize that selling is an implicit commendation of content. By contrast, ChristianBook.com is indiscriminate in its title selection, and sells lots and lots of products that undermine the very message of the good news. (This is precisely what I expect of Amazon, which by its very mission is indiscriminate, not Christian Book Distributors.)

So I have put a link in my sidebar to Monergism that I would encourage you to check out - and use - to make purchases of Christian literature. By your purchases, you are establishing a discerning, wise and God-honoring organization.

(Incidentally, Monergism has many great resources outside of its bookstore, including many excellent mp3 sermons and lectures - for free!)

No comments: