Saturday, November 17, 2007

Parenting in the Pew

Our Sunday school class has been reading Parenting in the Pew by Robbie Castleman, as a discussion-starter for parents.

In this sphere, I think it succeeds. Castleman raises some of the major issues of teaching children to worship, and offers some of her own experiences for insight into how to do it. I must admit that it made me much more conscious of how I was leading Elisabeth into worship last week in our Sunday service - and exposed a number of my bad habits. This book is great for getting parents (and others) thinking actively about how we teach our children to worship Christ.

I wouldn't, however, commend this book as the How to of teaching children to worship. Many of her examples are historically and culturally bound, and don't translate perfectly to other circumstances. I don't think that these qualities are reasons not to recommend the book, just words of fair warning for what you will find.

If anyone has recommendations of books that provide helpful recommendations of how to, please share!

No comments: